Learn how to peel a mango...
Disclosure: I may receive commissions for purchases made through links on this page at no extra cost to you.
How to peel a mango - Method 1
The easiest way to peel a mango is actually not to bother! Here's my favorite way of getting to that delectable orange flesh...
- Place the mango on a chopping board, and position length ways so that the narrowest part is facing upper most.
- Cut off the sides as close to the stone as possible. This should give you three pieces of mango. Two side pieces, and one narrow central piece which includes the mango stone.
- Take each side piece and score vertical and horizontal cuts across the insides, but don't cut right through the skin. You can then simply use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the skin. Or you can turn the sides inside out and make mango-hedgehogs.
- Carefully remove the peel from the remaining central oval, and cutting away from yourself onto the chopping board slice off as much of the mango flesh as possible.
How to peel a mango - Method 2
Method 2 is actually easier than method 1, but unfortunately it doesn't always work as some mangoes just don't want to come away from their stones.
- Cut down the centre of the mango, and when you hit the stone, follow your knife round.
- Twist the mango and it should split in two allowing you to remove the mango stone. If it doesn't split in two then use method 1.
- Take each piece and score vertical and horizontal cuts across the insides, but don't cut right through the skin. You can then simply use a spoon to scoop the flesh out of the skin. Or you can turn the sides inside out and make mango-hedgehogs, which are lots of fun to eat with the skin still on!
How to grow a mango houseplant
Visit how to grow a mango as a houseplant to discover how I grew my own lovely mango tree from seed.
Return to Fruit Smoothie Recipes
Go to Home Page